Abnormal Sperm, Among Factors of Alarming Increase of Male Infertility
The issue of male infertility in Malaysia has reached a worrying level.
This statement was made by Deputy Minister of Women and Community Development, Aiman Athirah Sabu, during a session of Dewan Negara.
It is based on laboratory analysis of sperm samples conducted by the National Population and Family Development Board (LPPKN).
The conducted study found that 60% of the samples showed abnormal results, which is a relatively high and concerning figure.
“This directly contributes to the increase in fertility problems in couples in Malaysia.
The birth rate in our country also showed a downward trend over the last 40 years, and it is closely related to the fertility rate, with the data from the Statistics Department showing 1.7 children for every married woman in 2021.”Deputy Minister of Women, Family and Community Development
WHAT IS ABNORMAL SPERM?
There are various situations that can indicate that your sperm is not normal.
According to an article from the Ministry of Health’s website, here are some situations that can classify your sperm as abnormal:
- Low sperm count compared to the normal rate.
- Most of the sperm does not move normally.
- Abnormal sperm shape, not resembling tadpoles.
- Absence of sperm cells in the semen.
- Insufficient volume of semen.
TYPICAL MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT MALE INFERTILITY
Some men may believe that they are normal and fertile.
This assumption is based on their existing physical conditions, including masculinity, physical appearance, and performance during sexual intercourse.
However, it is may not necessarily true. Such assessments are not indicative of the actual status of your sperm or semen.
In order to determine accurately the status of sperm, it is recommended for men to undergo semen analysis in medical laboratories.
CAUSES OF MALE INFERTILITY
It is undeniable that some cases of abnormal sperm are caused by genetic factors.
However, the quality of your sperms can also possibly influenced by external factors.
Technically, sperm cells are highly sensitive reproductive cells, and they can affect an individual’s fertility status.
Some factors that can contribute to a decline in sperms quality and health are as follows;
- Exposure to cigarette smoke, either active smokers or secondhand smokers.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Use of drugs or steroids (including testosterone).
- Consumption of certain medications due to existing conditions.
- Lack of exercise or physical activities.
- Exposure of the genitals to high temperatures (eg: prolonged sitting while driving, long periods of cycling, prolonged laptop use on the lap, or sauna activities).
- Sexual infections that can obstruct the sperm’s path or cause abnormal sperm readings.
GOVERNMENT INITIATIVES TO ADDRESS MALE INFERTILITY
Taking a more proactive approach, LPPKN has established a men wellness clinic that has been operational since October 2022. The clinic offers various services, including:
- Male health screening.
- Consultation for sexual problems.
- Healthy lifestyle practices consultation.
- Medical treatment options to improve male fertility.
VITAMINS FOR MALE FERTILITY, HELP IMPROVE SPERM HEALTH
In addition to a healthy lifestyle and exercise, taking certain supplements can also help in improving men’s health.
Zinc is a mineral that is concentrated in the male testes. Studies have found that a deficiency in zinc can have an impact on male fertility.
Here are some benefits of taking the zinc supplement:
- Increases sperm count and quantity in your semen
- Boosts your testosterone hormone levels
- Supports the genetic processes involved in DNA formation
- Helps in maintaining your sexual desire
2. Vitamin E
Besides being beneficial for women, it turns out that vitamin E can also enhance male fertility.
This is because male infertility issues are often caused by high levels of free radicals in the body.
Here are some benefits of vitamin E for male fertility:
- Improves sperm motility,
- Increases sperm count,
- Enhances the likelihood of pregnancy in your partner,
- Promotes the formation of new cells, including RNA and DNA,
- Supports eggs quality,
- Facilitates easier fertilization of the eggs.
3. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
CoQ10 is an energy-boosting and an anti-oxidant supplement. It protects sperm from damage caused by free radicals.
Other than that, CoQ10 also increases the quantity of healthy and actively moving sperm.
Not all sperm can swim effectively. So, CoQ10 generating energy to make the sperm more active. This indirectly contributes to increased male fertility.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids
It is crucial for sperm cell membranes to have a high content of Omega-3 fatty acids for proper functioning. These are benefits that associated with Omega-3 fatty acids intake:
- Increases semen volume.
- Boosts sperm count.
- Improves the percentage of forward-moving sperm.
- Enhances the production of healthier sperm.
GET SHAKLEE SUPPLEMENTS FOR MEN’S HEALTH
If you are currently seeking supplements to improve fertility healthiness, you may consume the following supplements from Shaklee, one of the leading nutritional company in US;
Zinc Plus – a zinc supplement
Omega Guard – fish oil supplement that contain Omega 3 fatty acids
Vita-E Complex – vitamin E supplement
CoQ-Trol Plus – Coenzyme Q10 supplement
For further enquiry, please contact me, Aisah (Malaysia Shaklee Distributor), at 017-6477837.
Or you may directly reach me by whatsapp by clicking the following links;
Get personalized wellness consultation, as well as guidance on the correct consumption of supplements upon purchasing it from us.